Complex SPEF Form .. blank.gif loading many many times

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe McShea 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

hzynst
    Participant

Hello! I have a very complex SPEF Form .. many fields and many SPEF Containers …

I’m trying to track down slowness in the form loading/rendering and in the network trace I see /_layouts/15/images/blank.gif?rev=40 downloading a lot … 100 times in my case.

* IE11 shows the referer as the form: NewForms.aspx
    * Chrome shows the initiator as jquery.bundle.min.js:14

I’m very new to trying to tracing performance and browser memory stuffs … It appears that the number of times blank.gif is being loaded seems to cause some level of pending/latency (not sure of the terms) ?

Does SPEF have some relation to using blank.gif?rev=40 ?

If so, could further explanation be provided?
    If so, is there a way to minimize calling/loading blank.gif so many times?

Thanx!
    As ALWAYS – I love love love SPEasyForms !!!

hzynst
    Participant

Hmmmmm…. I think I may see what is happening …

The NewForm is a brut force kind of form … contains lots of date fields for being able to customize time on each given day …

The SharePoint Date Field comes along with the calendar picker icon… and an iframe with a src= … / blank.gif?rev=40 AND inside of that is an img tag with a src = …. / blank.gif?rev=40

Already there are many loads of blank.gif?rev=40

So …. When SPEF does the form formatting … the insertion of the new row in the New/Edit forms creates a new DOM element … which may cause yet another set of blank.gif?rev=40 server requests ???

Gosh darn SharePoint …

Thanx!

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

Yeah, sorry, didn’t see this over the weekend. But SPEasyForms doesn’t do anything specific with blank.gif. SharePoint, however, uses it a lot to provide precise horizontal or vertical padding, which didn’t work particularly precisely on older browsers. But it’s a pretty crappy technique to use on modern browsers.

And yes, as I move those things around it can cause the browser to reload those resources. They’re absolutely tiny though, and they should get cached, but certainly there is still a price to be paid.

In general, when people tell me they have a complex form and they’re having performance problems, I suggest they remove SPEasyForms and quantify it (easiest way is to rename spef_layouts_(YOURGUID).txt to something else). Mostly I find, they still have performance problems without SPEasyForms. I didn’t promise to make SharePoint faster 😉

Over the years I have found and fixed a few performance problems caused by SPEasyForms, but at this point I’ve seen it used on some absurdly complex forms without issue.

Joe

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Joe McShea.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scroll to top