SPEasyForms does not Load Correctly after Solution Deployment on SP Server 19

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe McShea 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

opowell
    Participant

Hello,
    We’ve deployed the SPEasyForms solution on SP Server 2019 (on premises). We’ve activated the solution at the Site Collection. However; when we open SPEasyForms from any “Classic View” list, the interface is jumbled and does not work.

Have we missed a step?

Thank you

opowell
    Participant

We also tried the SPEasyFormsAssets import to the Style Library but got the same result.

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

I have tested SPEasyForms on the only 2019 environment I’ve had, which was preview (and now expired), and I didn’t have any issues with it, but I didn’t test it very thoroughly either. I assume you’re on the latest release (2018.03)? I’ll need to setup a 2019 RTM environment and take a look, but that’s going to take some time. If you’ve done both the sandbox and non-sandbox install and had the same issues, it doesn’t seem likely that you’ve missed a step.

A screen-shot would probably be helpful, and if you can launch developer tools and tell me any console error messages you see that might be helpful too. Also look at the network tab in developer tools, and look for any errors there (i.e. usually anything in red).

Joe

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Joe McShea.

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

Also, what kind of site are you trying to use it on? I’ve only tested it on a classic team site. I don’t know what happens on a noscript site, which includes at least My Sites, the web application root site, communications sites, and any self-service provisioned sites, but I kind of expect to have issues on those sites (quite possibly issues that cannot be overcome, or that can only be overcome by turning off noscript if that’s an option).

Joe

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

Hello,

Ok, I have managed to stand up a 2019 RTM development machine, and my results are the same as yours. It looks like none of my styles are being applied, including jQuery-UI styles. What’s strange is that looking at it in the debugger, those files are getting loaded successfully, but the page looks completely un-stylized. If I inspect elements, the DOM inspector doesn’t see any styles that should be applied except default styles. The classes are all correct, and the css got loaded but doesn’t appear to have been applied.

I rather expected the problem to be JavaScript crashing somehow, but there’s no evidence of that. In fact, as ugly as the page looks, it still sort of functions. Like if I click on ‘Add Container’ or ‘About’ on the menu, those dialogs boxes do pop up (also looking ugly of course), and I can add a container and see it show up. Even the drag and drop of the fields and containers works. And, I can save the configuration and it is applied to the actual form which works (sort of). The sort of is of course that no styles are applied there either, but if I configure tabs it hides and shows fields correctly, it just looks like crap.

And there are no JavaScript exceptions at all (other than one jQuery exception when I try to load the configuration, but that’s expected and handled, I haven’t configured the list yet).

Anyway, this is pretty annoying, because I didn’t have this problem with SharePoint 2019 Preview at all. I’ll certainly look into it, but I’m stumped at the moment, and unfortunately I’m tied up all next week so I’m not going to get a chance to look at this until after Memorial day sometime. I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Joe

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

I think I’ve found the cause of this. Looking at the network tab, I saw that my CSS is being loaded as I said, but looking at the headers, SharePoint is identifying the Content-Type as “application/octet-stream.” This is very wrong and evil, and is causing the browser to not treat the file as a style sheet, thus no styles get applied.

I’ve confirmed this from the following TechNet post: SharePoint-hosted CSS files are loaded as application/octet-stream

There is an accepted solution on that post, which is to add the feature “IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility(Web-Metabase).” (It gives a bit more detail) I haven’t tried it yet.

Joe

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

Hello,

I have now tried this solution and it did work (after clearing my browser cache a few times). The instructions are a little vague and finding the feature was a bit of a pain, so here is where it was for me:

Add Roles and Features Wizard - IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility

This is in the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” found in “Server Manager”.

Not a bad night. I went from “Oh my god, why does Microsoft hate me?” to “Oh, that was easy”, in about a half an hour 😉

Joe

opowell
    Participant

Hi Joe,
    Excellent! No worries with being stumped as we are finding loads of weird behavior with SP19 and think MS still has some issues to work through for the on premises version.

Anyway – thanks so much for working through the cause of this particular style issue as SPEasyForms is perfect for our needs and we really want to continue to use it on SP19.

Thanks again!

Joe McShea
    Keymaster

No problem, glad I could help.

I honestly thought this was going to be a bad one. Worst case is, I couldn’t even reproduce it, in which case we’d need to go down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out what’s different between your install and mine. And that could have easily happened, since this problem doesn’t affect all SP19 installs, and nobody has figured out why some and not others.

But then when I could reproduce it I thought uh oh, something very bad is happening, until I realized the JavaScript was actually running without issue. And once I saw the CSS was coming back “200 ok” I knew it really couldn’t be my problem, but what the f?

Anyway, gave me something to blog about 😉

Joe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scroll to top